Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thoughts on Windows 8 - Part II - The Firefox Edition

Netflix streaming does not work on Windows 8...or does it? I installed Silverlight, fired up Firefox, and wham...I go the system requirements error message. Windows 7 is not listed as compatible. I called Netflix, who directed me to the Microsoft support line, a they felt this was a Silverlight issue. First, the support tech had no idea what Windows 8 was. Secondly, she used an inaccurate support script to talk me through finding some build information. As we went through this, it dawned on me that I was using the Firefox beta, which may not be supported. I opened IE 10 and wham! I was in the video streaming world once again. I told the support person the resoltion and decided to add it here. You can use Netflix with Windows 8 beta with no hackery what so ever (after installing Silverlight). Firefox beta may require some registry editing

No comments:

Post a Comment