Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Windows 8: Switching From Developer to Consumer Preview

Brief notes. I lost all my apps with the install of Consumer Preview. It is not a migration. This includes everything from Firefox (including my few bookmarks), SQL Server 2012, and my favorite metro apps (5 in a Row and WordHunt). Oddly the Metro apps are missing from the previously unavailable app store. So, have your installers ready. I did retain my documents, downloads, and music, which is something.

I wish I had done some performance bench marking. Both OSes feel faster then Windows 7 on my old dual core.Installation felt very slow though. Reboot after configuring the settings.

Look and feel is slightly smoother than the dev preview. However, some Microsoft standard navigation is hidden from the user (Start and Show Desktop controls are present in the Taskbar, but you only see them on hoverover). The Show Desktop area doubles as the means to navigate to the menu bar (Search, Settings, Devices, Start, Share). Everything else seems the same this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment